To grow with our customers through visionary packaging and trusted solutions.
As a team, we collaborate with customers to provide innovative packaging solutions through an exceptional experience
To help us stay focused on our customers, everyone at Mankato Packaging embraces five core values:
Mankato Packaging is an innovative designer and manufacturer of paperboard packaging solutions for the wholesale and retail industry. We are a valued, high quality supplier that has been in business for over 100 years. With our years of experience and our dedicated staff we are ready to serve your packaging needs.
Located in the heart of Southern MN, we take pride in being your local paperboard packaging supplier, specializing in small to medium runs. Not only are we local, but our customer base spans across the United States and internationally. We instill an unwavering trust by delivering an irreplaceable customer experience. This experience includes offering competitive pricing and efficiencies that are unmatched.
- 1919 – Founded by Russel G. Foster, the company originally started as Paper Box
- 1968 – Changed name to Mankato Corporation
- 1983 – Changed name to Mankato Carton
- 1992 – Moved to Commerce Drive, North Mankato
- 2011 – Changed name to Mankato Packaging
Our team is proud to have the following certifications:
The Mankato Packaging team has always had a focused commitment on sustainability. This dedication plays a part in every aspect of our business, including:
- 100% Recyclable Paperboard – All of the paperboard materials used can be recycled
- Environmentally Friendly Inks – All of our inks contain significant vegetable/soy oils to ensure that the paperboard these inks
are placed can continue to be 100% recyclable
- Protective Coatings – The aqueous coatings utilized are water based
- Zero Waste Production Facility – We are partnered with a leader in the recycling business to achieve the goal of becoming a zero waste production facility
Paperboard – also referred to as chipboard – is the raw material used in paperboard carton production. Even though all paperboard is manufactured from renewable resources there are 4 distinct grades:
- Solid bleached sulfate board
- Solid unbleached sulfate board
- Clay coated newsback
All paperboard grades are manufactured using a multi ply construction. What makes up each individual layer is what separates the four distinct grades. Some use 100% pulp as the raw material, some use 100% recovered fiber, and some use a combination of both. Paperboard options are listed but not limited to below:
- Solid Bleached Sulfate Board (SBS): This grade is made from pure bleached chemical pulp
- Solid Unbleached Sulfate Board (SUS): This grade is made from pure unbleached chemical pulp
- Clay Coated Newsback (CCNB): This grade is made from recycled paperstock
- Chipboard (CHIP): This grade is made from recovered fibres
Properties of cartonboard:
- Weight: The weight of the cartonboard in grams
- Thickness (caliper): The distance between the two surfaces of the cartonboard sheet
This is the most common form of printing paperboard. In this method the paperboard sheets are sheet-fed offset. Offset is referred to as an “indirect” printing method. The ink is not transferred to the paperboard sheet from the printing plate. The printing cylinder sets off the printing ink onto a rubber-covered blanket cylinder, which transfers the ink/printing image to the paperboard sheet.